Monday, October 23, 2017

"Platitudes Undone" a Facsimile Edition of Platitudes in the Making by Holbrook Jackson with the original Handwritten Responses of G.K. Chesterton



 Symphony No. 60 by Franz Joseph Haydn is playing.  Some people think Haydn is a thicker, slightly more sluggish Mozart, but I think Papa Haydn's symphonies are filled with good cheer and if maybe they don't soar quite as high as Mozart's they are still worthy of a good listening to while enjoying a cup of tea while watching squirrels chase each other outside or while reading this post.

Some people use the words "Nerd" and "Geek" interchangeably but do you know that actually refer to two different kinds of people?

"Nerd" is an afficionado of classical literature, fiction and non fiction. They read.  A lot.

 They will get upset if a three hour movie of Pride and Prejudice is not faithful to the text in storyline and dialogue, if the actors do not properly embody the characters. In fact, Nerds become outraged and offended that anyone thought they could squish a literary masterpiece into a mere three hours!  Uh, not that I know anyone personally like that...

A Geek on the other hand will often own an entire collection of Star Wars miniatures proudly displayed around the house.  My husband's boss, who I hope is not reading my blog, has such a collection as well as movie posters of Star Wars on the wall.  His living room has three sofas tiered to three different levels so he and his friends can better watch movies on his wall-sized movie screen.  He and his wife, also a geek, enjoy this. And so do all their friends who come to watch movies with them.  This sometimes includes Josh and me, since we don't watch quite so many movies, but more power to them that do.

A Geek friend of mine was unable to enjoy the Hobbit movie because Smaug the dragon did not look like a dragon, but a Wyvern.  I did not know what a Wyvern was. 

"Wyvern's do not have fore legs.  Dragons have fore legs," my friend informed me.  Good to know.  I feel smarter.

I, a Nerd, was also unable to enjoy the Hobbit movie but that was for the petty reason that the Hobbit movie was not the Hobbit.  Period.  Nice fantasy adventure and all that, just not the book.

I was invited to a Baby shower to a friend who loved Science Fiction and Fantasy.  We were asked to come wearing something, a costume or what not, from those genres.  There were Princess Leias, A Green Lady, and of course a few Harry Potters.

I wore my husband's T-Shirt that had the words, "Miskatonic University" on it.   I was a Nerd among Geeks.

Now to be fair, there are rarely pure bloods of either side.  I am probably only 80% Nerd and 20% Geek.  My husband is 60% Geek and 40% Nerd. 

In fact, as I was telling someone in a previous post I am a huge Classic Star Trek fan, although I see definite improvements in the latest movies.  For one their costumes are more realistic.

I was at Books a Million with my son when they were having a promotional event for the latest Star Trek movie.  One of the workers there was giving out head shots of Spock.  She looked at us and I eagerly waved her over. 

She came and handed the photo to Derek.  Derek handed the photo to me.  He knew which one of us was the Spock Fan.  It now rests on a shelve next to my Harvard Classics.



Josh also knows my Geek side.  I got into my car one day to see a couple of decorations on my dashboard.  He's so sweet.



What has any of this to do with my book review?  Not much.  I just felt compelled to set the record straight between Geeks and Nerds.  Language is important to Nerds.



Platitudes Undone: A Facsimile Edition of Holbrook Jackson's Platitudes Undone: A Facsimile Edition of Holbrook Jackson's "Platitudes in the Making" with Original Handwritten Responses by G.K. Chesterton. by Holbrook Jackson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


"In 1955, in a used bookstore in San Francisco, Dr. Alfred Kessler, an avid collector of the works of G.K. Chesterton, uncovered a rare treasure-Chesterton's personal copy of a privately published edition of Holbrook Jackson's Platitudes in the Making (1911) with original responses by Chesterton written in green pencil between the lines of Jackson's book." -From the inside cover.

Those of us who know and love Chesterton for his Father Brown mysteries will enjoy his clever repartee to Jackson's assertions.

This brief book is filled with, in my opinion, extremely arrogant platitudes by Holbrook Jackson, a man I had never heard of before and probably with good reason. People like him deserve to be obsolete. Most of his "pearls" are unproveable nonsense that show a contempt for mankind while trying to appear clever.

Why read this book? Because G.K. Chesterton has written his personal responses to Jackson's platitudes which show Jackson's wisdom to be farcical while demonstrating Chesterton's authentic humor and insight.

Here are a couple of examples:

Jackson: As soon as an idea is accepted it is time to reject it.
Chesterton: No: it is time to build another idea on it. You are always rejecting: and you build nothing.

J: A lie is that which you do not believe.
C: This is a lie: so perhaps you don't believe it.

J: Familiarity breeds not contempt, but indifference.
C: But U (sic.) can breed surprise. Try saying "boots' ninety times

J: The god of theology: a power that creates to destroy.
C: No: that is obviously the god of modern science.


I found this quick read to be a lot of fun.  For those of us who cannot come up with sharp and witty replies to the Holbrook Jacksons of the world, Chesterton is like your big brother who will defend you against the bully threatening to beat you up.  I found this book in a library book fair.  I hope you Chesterton fans out there can find your own copy.



View all my reviews


14 comments:

Mudpuddle said...

H.P. Lovecraft is blushing in his nonmaterial existence... this book sounds like fun; just reading the quotes and responses, i liked both of them... i'm not picky... interesting re the wyvern and dragon; i think i knew that once, but that fact has joined a myriad of others that have slipped out of the old brain pan... stimulating post... tx...

Brian Joseph said...

Hi Sharon - Your differentiation between nerds and geeks is hilarious. I am also more of a nerd but I agree that pure bloods are rare. I love Star Trek among other things. That lunch box is awesome!

I also like Chesterton's responses.

Have a great week!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Mudpuddle.

See, I knew nerds like you would recognize Miskatonic University.

I did not know about the Wyvern and dragon either but I do like illuminated manuscripts and I'm looking at my books with all those little creatures in the margins and I see plenty of wyverns and dragons.
Take care!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian. Isn't that lunch box the cutest little thing? Another gift from my husband.

I'm glad I finally found an outlet to lecture about nerds and geeks.

Have a good week!

RTD said...

I must read more by Chesterton, and I hope to find a copy of the book you’ve so nicely featured. The quest begins.

Sharon Wilfong said...

R.T. I think you would especially like Chesterton and would find his conversion to Catholicism interesting.

RTD said...

Btw, my blog has morphed. Here is the link to new version.
https://infinqs.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

What a perfect explanation of the difference between geeks and nerds. I don't think I'm at all a geek, but I'm definitely a bit of a nerd which I guess is sometimes better than being a dork. :)

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marcia. I worry sometimes that I am a dork. That would make an interesting subject for discussion...the definition of a dork. :)

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thanks, R.T.

Unknown said...

I'm fairly certain I'm 95% nerd. Maybe 5% geek for those who mess with Doctor Who or Sherlock (but really don't care THAT much). This Jackson-Chesterton book sounds interesting--may try to locate it. Love Chesterton but have to read him through a few times as I do C.S. Lewis to understand the line of thought.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Joyce! We're overdue for a lunch date! I think you've got a little more geek in you. You like murder mysteries and that is both nerd and geek.

I know what you mean about Chesterton. His logic can be a bit dizzying at times.

Mudpuddle said...

he does like to turn things inside out...

Sharon Wilfong said...

Mudpuddle that's a good way of putting it. :)