Monday, November 6, 2017

It Was Good: Making Art to the Glory of God edited by Ned Bustard


Feruccio Busoni (1866-1924) was an Italian pianist who lived during a time when he met many of the famous composers whose works he performed.  Here you can hear him playing Franz Liszt's La Campanella (Bells) Etude.


It's been quite a week.  Last Sunday, I received a call from one of my sisters that my father had fallen and knocked himself unconscious.  It was serious and he ended up in ICU for the weekend.  My mother has macular degeneration and can no longer drive.  Therefore, I packed up myself and my bird and began the ten hour drive to my parents house on the Gulf Coast in Florida.



I was pulling out of the driveway when my other sister called to let me know that while my dad was back home, my mother was now in ICU for a racing heart.

My mother has had stage four lung cancer for five years now.  She has been on three different chemo drugs, all taken orally, but this last has been hard on her heart.  The doctors shipped her off to Pensacola for a cardio ablation.

This is a procedure where they insert a needle through the thigh and work their way up to the heart and burn two holes in it.  The next three months, as the heart heals, the holes scar over and these scars prevent the heart from fibrillating.

Who discovered that is what I want to know?  Who came up with the idea of burning holes in the heart and figured out it would keep the heart stable?

Both parents are home and I and my one sister who flew down had a lovely visit with both parents as they recuperated.  I hated to leave and I'm certainly going to miss those sunsets on the water, which is how we ended every day.





Grandma loves her grand bird and Hercaloo was quite put out with me when we returned to Texas.



But enough about my adventures.  Here is my latest book review.  I found this book in the library in Golden, Colorado when I was visiting one of my sisters.  Naturally I wasn't satisified with only reading it, I had to own it.  I don't understand my pyschology but I must own the books I hold dear.

You may or may not be a Christian, but I think the writers of this book had some interesting insight into the history of art and what place does religious belief have in the expression of it.





It 
Was Good: Making Art to the Glory of GodIt Was Good: Making Art to the Glory of God by Ned Bustard

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


It was Good is a collection of essays by various international artists who have reknown in their field. These fields vary from oils, to sculpture to mult-media. The book includes several photographs of their work, something I find to be one of the valuable attributes of this book.

Besides art, all of these artists have one other thing in common: they are believers in Christ. Though their particular denominations and creeds vary (some are reformed, some are Baptist, some non-denominational and at least one is Roman Catholic) they each offer something as to what sort of philosophy a Christian should have when expressing themselves through the visual arts.

They are all in agreement that Christians were once the powerhouses of art as is evidenced by the Cathedrals and millions of paintings housed in museums all over the world. In fact if one took away religiously inspired art from Europe there would be a significantly smaller amount of art and architecture to see, largely limiting the tourist trade to good restaurants and nude bathing. And we are not even including classical music.

Somewhere along the line, Christians not only lost their standing in the artistic community but seem content to embrace a limited vision of how art should be expressed by believers. This is obvious if one visits any number of churches where the theologically rich tradition of singing hymns, some of them hundreds of years old, sacred music played on the organ and other classical instruments have been tossed in favor or a more "contemporary" sound which has more in common with pop songs on the radio then deep, meditative worship.

Each artist in this book contributes an essay providing their own opinion, insight and philosophy of what art means to Christianity. What purpose does it serve and how should it be expressed.

Some write about the definition of beauty and offers a time line of how that concept has changed over the decades and centuries, including the twentieth where it was deemed undesirable to make works of art that were beautiful.

Another gives a historical account of what art meant to religious figures in the past two thousand years.

Still others contemplate how art should be expressed by believers. Should Christians only create art with an overt Christian message or is their world view implicitly expressed simply because as Christians, they cannot escape expressing this view through their chosen mediums. Is one a Christian artist, or an artist who happens to be Christian?

Should Christians only give happy, sentimental views of life or should they make art that exposes the grime as well?

These and many other ideas are explored throughout these essays.

While I found much of what they said to be valuable, although I did not agree with everything and found one or two of the philosophies esoteric, I think that many would benefit from hearing what they have to say whether you are a Christian or not.

I found that all the writers were people who may have their eyes toward God, were firmly grounded in the realities on earth.



View all my reviews






Herc and me back home.  Tired but glad to be back in Texas.



21 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Sorry to hear about your parents. I hope that they quickly bounce back from these crises.

Christianity and art have indeed been very intertwined for many centuries. I think it is a neat idea that the artists highlighted in this book also have essays in the book. When I look at art I often feel that I want to hear more from the artist on a different level. This seems like a good way to do so.

Have a great week.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Brian. I think you would probably find this book interesting because you have an analytical mind and open to other philosophies that may differ from your own.

Have a good week!

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Getting older stinks! I'm sorry you have to go through that, but I guess it is a part of life, and it is how we honor them as they get older.

I like this topic - about art and history. It sort of reminds me of How Shall We Then Live by Francis Schaffer, though he writes more deeply on social issues
than art techniques. But he too goes back through time to demonstrate the changes of art/music/architecture and how and why and what is to be done about it. It's fascinating! It's been awhile since I've read it, but I'd love to revisit it soon.

P.S. I love Campanella. My son played it when he used to play piano:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwcLRgF85zc

Debbie Nolan said...

Sharon glad to read your parents are recuperating. Love your bird. I am sure he did much to heal the sick when visiting. Your review of this book sounds so interesting since I am a Christian as well as an artist. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Debbie. Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you run across a copy of this book. You'll find it worth your while.

Do you have a blog or website? I'd love to see your work.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Oh, duh. I follow your blog (View from Harmony Hills). I did not recognize your name. I love your blog. :)

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Ruth. It's too bad that my parents getting older and more frail causes me to cherish them all the more. But, as we've been studying Romans in my bible study. Trials produce perseverance which produces character and that produces hope! At least we don't have to dread death!

I think we had this conversation before, but your son must have been quite advanced before he quit.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Blogger won't let me "reply" under our past comment section, so I'll start another. Isn't it beautiful how God designed the whole family relationship -- parents raise up their children, and then children grow up and care for their parents. It is sweet.

And, yes, there is hope in knowing God's promises. : )

P.S. I'm sure I've mentioned my son to you since you play piano, too. It breaks my heart that he quit; however, my ten-year old has since become a student of my older son's piano teacher, and so the journey begins again. My younger son loves classical music and the piano even more than my first son.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Blogger can be a pain. My husband keeps subscribing to my blog and blogger keeps unsubcribing him. I wonder how many followers I've lost that way.

I must say I'm surprised you have a son who is a teenager. You look like a teenager yourself and I'm not merely flattering.

Anonymous said...

i'm having trouble commenting (mupuddle); i hope your parents are feeling better... sorry to hear about their issues... life presses on, regardless, it seems...

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

Oh, thank you, I think. : D Actually, my son is almost 22, and I had him at 26. But I also have an 18 year old, and the rest are under 13. I feel really old, but my brain thinks I'm still 16. It's scary.

And I've been unsubscribed to my own blogs, too. It's really annoying!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Well, doing the math, you aren't in your thirties and I assumed you were by your photos. Frankly you look good for having all those children. I had one and never got the pre-pregnancy weight back.

And I take my hat off to all home schoolers. You're doing it right!

Sharon Wilfong said...

Well, Mudpuddle. These things come to pass and I find myself cherishing my time with my parents all the more. Even though it was under stressful circumstance, it was a precious time with them. Take care!

RTD said...

Sharon, my words are inadequate, but I hope everything improves for your parents. We always feel so helpless and wish we could do more when others in our families have health troubles. It is a difficult dilemma.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Thanks, R.T. My parents are troopers. With them, you have to make sure they understand that they are not yet ready to take on the world. That's why I went down; to ensure they don't try to do things they aren't ready for.

Mudpuddle said...

i might mention that, due to computer troubles, and with the aid of mrs. m, i've started a blog: mudpuddle soup, at muddlet.wordpress.com (that's actually a pun on "model T", supposed to indicate the ramblings of the slow moving oldsters...

Barbara said...

Hello Sharon, I was sorry to read bout your parents, but I’m glad they are both recuperating. What I want to know is. How did the person who thought about experimenting with burning holes in the heart go about testing out the theory? Did he have an unwanted heart in the freezer or what?
Your bird is adorable – I love the picture in the car!

Sharon Wilfong said...

I always thought you should start a blog. I look forward to reading it.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Barbara. I am going to do a little research on that. There's a book out that is on my TBR pile about a British Open Heart Surgeon. I'm hoping he will talk about the procedure.

Anonymous said...

Oh, your poor parents! So glad they are both doing better now and that you had some special time with them (and those gorgeous sunsets). It's sweet how Herc seems to be able to go anywhere without thinking of flying away.

Sharon Wilfong said...

Hi Marcia! Yes, thank you, my parents are doing much better now. I was nervous about bringing my bird, but now I'm glad I did; he really enjoyed himself.